Guide for international students who will study in Australia

If you’re considering studying in Australia, it’s important to do some research about the culture, food, history, and social norms. International Students in Australia can expect to be immersed in diverse cultures, rich traditions, and innovative ideas.

We have listed some important things you should know about Australia before you hop on a plane to “the land down under”.


  1. You Need a Visa

To study in Australia, you will need to have a student visa. The process for applying for a visa is convenient and easy as it is completely done online, no need for embassy visits or queuing in lines. 


  1. Get Health Insurance

All international students need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It is a condition of student visa to have continuous OSHC for the duration of stay in Australia. OSHC allows international students to access Australia’s excellent health care system without experiencing financial hardship.


  1. The Seasons

Given the size of the country, the climate in Australia varies greatly from one region to the next. Generally speaking, there are four seasons across most of the country, while the Top End (including Darwin, Katherine, Kakadu and Arnhem Land), Broome, the Kimberley and Tropical North Queensland (Cairns, the Whitsundays and the Daintree Rainforest) experience a ‘wet season’ (November to April) and a ‘dry season’ (May to October).


  1. Australia is Huge!

The “Travel goals” for many include the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and the Outback, the Sydney Opera House, and so much more. If you are planning to see all this, you’ll need plenty of time as it’s such a big country! But wherever you are studying, there are surely plenty of amazing things nearby. Check out this article to know places great to visit near you: A Bucket List of places you should go while studying in Australia


  1. The Grading System is Different

If you’re going to be receiving Australian grades, it’s worth looking into what they mean. A “D” is in fact a pretty good grade! Most Australian universities use HD (High Distinction), D (Distinction), C (Credit), P (Pass), and F (Fail) as their grading system. 


  1. Working while studying

The typical study visa in Oz will allow you to work up to 40 hours every two weeks while you are and unlimited hours during holiday breaks. Australia has a considerably wide range of industries with part-time work available, including retail, hospitality, agricultural, sales, and administration. In response to labour shortages due to the absence of working holiday makers, the Australian Government has recently permitted students to work unlimited hours in Tourism and Hospitality!


  1. Open a Bank Account

If you’re spending a semester or more in Australia, it is well worth opening an Australian bank account. You can avoid the ridiculous fees you would likely face drawing out money with your home bank (and anywhere you can save a little bit of money is worth it!), and some Australian bank accounts actually have a decent interest rate on savings. This would be especially useful if you did decide to take on some part-time work.


We will guide you to prepare and start your study in Australia. Contact us at MEI to start planning your future down under!

What to expect when moving to another country

Moving abroad has plenty of benefits such as having the opportunity to experience a new country and culture while traveling and meeting new people, as well as learning a new language, with the most significant aspects being reflected on you as an individual. With this in mind, it’s no wonder that many people are considering a move abroad. 

Here’s what to expect and consider when you’re off to live in a foreign country:


  1. Language.

What language does the country speak that you are moving to? You’ll want to study and practice the language as much as possible before you go. Also, taking intensive language lessons once you arrive is a great way to meet people and ease the language transition.


  1. Where to go?

There are many factors that go into your choice of a new home country: climate, political stability, crime, cost, language and customs, etc. In choosing a country or place where you want to spend a significant amount of your time living and studying, do some research so you choose the best destination for your lifestyle.


  1. Work and money

How will you support yourself when you move abroad? Will you have a job, or do you have enough savings or passive income to support yourself and possibly your family? Thinking about your income should be one of the most important aspects to consider before you move, so doing research into the cost of living and job prospects is essential.


  1. Blending into the local community.

Assimilating to the local culture can be a long-term project, and also a constant source of beauty, humor and fascination. Be naturally curious and open to being outside of your comfort zone. Say hello and show respect to everyone, learn the local sayings, the customs, celebrate the holidays, make local friends, and always get along with police and officials. Attending religious services and volunteering to do charity work can be great ways to foster goodwill and positive karma.


  1. Residency and Visas.

Before moving abroad, always make sure you legally can enter the country, and get expert advice about whether you need a residency visa, work permit, or something else to allow you to stay. In some countries, there are schemes where you can live and work in a country for 1-2 years to experience that country. 


We hope this helps! Feel free to contact MEI any time for advice or tell us about your plans to live abroad!


By: Jane Balaong

The Most Affordable Way to Study Hospitality in Australia + Get a Bonus Year to Just Work!

Australia is home to several reputed Hospitality colleges. It is also a place where great work experience can be gained that is recognised all over the world. Combine your Australian Hospitality qualifications with Australian work experience and get your Hospitality career off to a flying start!

Read the word Hospitality too many times above and are still reading this? Good. You’re in the right place. If you’re a student looking for the perfect Hospitality college and haven’t yet taken the leap because of fee stress, be assured that what you’re going to read will take the weight off your shoulders.

Darwin, located in the Northern Territory of Australia is not just the gateway from Asia into Australia, a tropical paradise and a melting pot of multiculturalism, but also home to one of the most reputed Hospitality colleges in Australia. 

The Northern Territory is currently experiencing an unprecedented demand for Hospitality staff. To this end, the Australian government has now permitted international students to work unlimited hours in Hospitality roles while studying. That means you’ll have the opportunity to work and earn money towards your college fees and living costs. We’re now telling you that the International College of Advanced education (ICAE), one of the fine colleges we represent, is also offering tailor made fee instalment plans to international students when they enrol in qualifying courses. Whether your desire is to work in restaurants, bars, kitchens or bakeries, there is a course with your name on it.

If the above wasn’t music to your ears, the Australian government is now also allowing international students who graduate from Hospitality courses to change over to another visa that entitles up to one year of unlimited working hours in Hospitality roles! So after you complete your Hospitality studies, you get to earn and gain further Australian work experience for an entire year! Add to this the very favourable migration opportunities open to ICAE graduates, and studying Hospitality, Cookery or Baking and studying with ICAE becomes an easy choice.

Aren’t you glad you read this article until the end? If so, act fast and act now! Contact the team at MEI to find out more about available courses, fee instalment options and your eligibility NOW!

Written by Alok Kedar on behalf of Migration Education International

Working while studying abroad

Ever dream of studying abroad? Sounds exciting, and being able to work while you study can really help cover the costs of tuition, travel, housing, and living expenses. As a matter of fact, there are countries that allow international students to work part-time while attending school.

Students engaging in part-time jobs are very common everywhere and many students are doing it.  Working while studying is a smart decision because it will add that much-needed extra money to your bank account and will also provide a unique experience at the same time. This is worth doing as it can help complement your overall international experience. You will also start to realize the benefits of being completely independent. You will also feel more confident as you meet new people, all while building the connections and experience that could make you stand out when you look for employment in the future.

Check out our article “Tips on how to balance your studies and work opportunities” to have an in-depth view of how to juggle both working and studying without sacrificing any of the two.

Read on to learn about some countries where you can work while studying abroad!


If Australia is your study abroad destination, you will be allowed to work up to 40 hours every two weeks while you are and unlimited hours during holiday breaks. Australia has a considerably wide range of industries with part-time work available, including retail, hospitality, agricultural, sales, and administration. 


Most international students in Canada can work for up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during scheduled breaks, without a work permit. International students in Canada with a study permit who are enrolled full-time in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), can work off-campus without a work permit. This means you can work for any employer in any occupation anywhere in Canada. International students can also work on campus if they wish.

New Zealand

New Zealand student visas usually allow full-time students to work up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and up to 40 hours a week during the summer break. This applies to both secondary school and tertiary students. Research master’s and Ph.D. students can work 40 hours a week all year round. 

It is no doubt that working while Studying abroad definitely helps you greatly during your stay.  It is important also to know some specific rules for that specific country. You also have to understand your right as an employee and be aware of how to find paid work. Now, if you are ready to experience both working while studying abroad. Talk to us! MEI can guide you through your International study journey. 


By: Jane Balaong